Words of Wisdom from Dr. Seuss

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind, don't matter and those who matter, don't mind.”

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Every Member a Missionary

member missionary work does not require the development of strategies or gimmicks. It does require faith—real faith and trust in the Lord. It also requires genuine love. The first great commandment is to “love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. … The second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself”
(Matt. 22:37, 39).
So let the power of love guide us in sharing the gospel with family members, friends, neighbors, business associates, and any other people we encounter as we go through life. Most everyone wants to enjoy peace and happiness. That is a natural human desire. People want to find answers to the problems they face. This is increasingly true in the world we now live in.

Some members say, “I’m afraid to share the gospel because I might offend someone.” Experience has shown that people are not offended when the sharing is motivated by the spirit of love and concern. How could anyone be offended when we say something like this: “I love the way my church helps me” and then add whatever the Spirit directs. It’s when we appear only to be fulfilling an assignment and we fail to express real interest and love that we offend others. Don’t ever forget, brothers and sisters, that you and I have in our possession the very points of doctrine that will bring people to the Lord. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ has within it the power to bring deep and abiding happiness to the human soul—something that will be valued and cherished for the rest of time and for all eternity. We are not just trying to get people to join our Church; we are sharing with them the fullness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. But as powerful as our message is, it cannot be imposed or forced upon people. It can only be shared—heart to heart, soul to soul, spirit to spirit—by being good neighbors and by caring and showing love. We need to be watchful for one another and reach out to one another. And as we do so, we will radiate the gospel in our own lives, and it will radiate to the people the blessings the gospel has to offer.
M. Russell Ballard, “The Essential Role of Member Missionary Work,”
Liahona, May 2003, 37–40

I am afraid to admit that I am one of the people who hesitate to share the Gospel for fear of offending, or for fear of being looked at differently or being laughed at or challenged and not knowing the right answer to the challenge or on and on and on. I can think of a million reasons why I have a hard time being a good member missionary. But, my nephew Jordan has been such an example to me of how easy and meaningful it can be to try. He has a reading teacher at school that is a wonderful lady, all the kids love her. She is Jewish, and Jordan has been a great member missionary in teaching her things about the church. She told Brenda at the last SEP Conference that Jordan has taught her all about the Lamanites, not really meaning to, just by talking to her. Then the other day, when Brenda and I went into her class to give her something for Teacher Appreciation, Jordan was in there and was sitting there just talking with Mrs. K. She told us that he was teaching her about our Sabbath Day. She had asked him what he was doing for mothers day, if he was going out or what. He just told her no they where not going out because it was Sunday. He explained to her how we don't go out on Sundays because it is the Lords day and a day of rest. Then Brenda did a little more explaining how we don't like to make other people work on Sundays. She wanted to know if it was OK to make dinner for your own family. We said yes. Then she told us a story about her religion and their beliefs during Christmas. It was also interesting for me to hear more about other faiths, which admittedly, I don't know that much about. Then she told us how it is a loving class and they share a lot of things with each other, I thought it was wonderful that she has an open environment where her kids feel safe and secure, she then said again how she loves that Jordan teaches her about his religion and gave him a little kiss on the head. I was very touched by this and have been thinking a lot about it. Oh to have the fearlessness that children seem to have and the innocence of a child. Jordan just in talking to his teacher that he loves, has shared the Gospel with her. He also wants to invite her to his Baptism in June. What a great example of just being a friend to someone and also inviting them into the church. Now, I am not saying that she is ready to convert or anything, but he has set the groundwork if by chance she does decide to someday explore more. Can you believe that a 7 year old is being a great missionary to someone who has retired once before from teaching and taught for years in Compton I might add, but I am afraid sometimes to even admit that I am Mormon. I often think, I don't know very many people who are NOT Mormon. But then I stop to think a little harder and I know that there are people out there who are waiting to hear the message, if only I would be the person to share it with them.
I am hoping to be a better member missionary and to be a good example to my children of how to be a good missionary, after all I am raising 3 possibly 4 future missionaries!
I am grateful to Jordan and his example and I hope that I can try harder and be better and maybe seek out the people who may be seeking the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment